Tuesday, January 24, 2012

11 more days!

Things are really starting to set in now. I've already said goodbye to clients at work, my dental hygienist, and some associates at JCPenney. Plans are starting to be made for my last hurrah with friends and family. A party here, a trivia night there, a dinner here, a lunch there, a bubble island date here, a brunch there. Everyone's been so kind, and more people than I thought are really interested in what I'll be doing and where I'll be going. 

I went out and bought some things for my trip. I got a couple of blazers so that I look extra fancy every once in a while. I feel like my wardrobe is business casual and not very formal. Hopefully the blazers will help. There were a lot of little things on my list like deodorant x3 because apparently Korean don't have terrible body odor. Must be nice. Razors, reward stickers for the kids, stamps, tweezers and clippers (no more free brow waxes from my mom, sadface), lots of toothpaste, floss, and three toothbrushes (thanks, Mrs. Kendall!!), a scrubbie, kleenex, vaseline, a USB remote for projectors, a 3DS holder and styluses, chapstick, an umbrella, washcloths, Q-tips, sunscreen, and wrinkle spray. 

It might all be overkill, but I just don't want to get there and have to shop for all that stuff right away. After a 14 hour flight, going shopping for the basics isn't something I'd be really excited to do. 

I've started giving myself a pep talk every time I get overwhelmed about the trip. My heart is completely in this, but my mind keeps asking if I'm crazy for getting myself into this. That's when I repeat to myself, "You are a brave woman. Some other people wouldn't have even filled out the application, but you did. You are personable and have a pretty smile. People will like you even if you act like a complete fool over and over. You're good with children. This will be so helpful in finding a job when you get back. Six months will fly by. You are a brave woman." 

It's worked so far. With 11 days to go before I leave on a 14-hour flight from Detroit to Seoul, I think pep talks to myself are the best form of stress-relief. 

3 comments:

  1. Shelby- You are amazing! You are going to be great!!!! So excited for you. You are in my prayers for a non-stressful preparation, safe and relaxing flight, and wonderful long trip in a far off land. I know that you have been chosen to do this because you are strong and brilliant and extremely likable! God's plans for us are often crazy, but He knows what he has put you up to. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, Sam! You are so sweet and I think this has been God's plan for me for a while. Everything seemed to just line up. So great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well! Your kids are ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, almost anything that you can get here, you will be able to get there. There is a HUGE Army post there and make friends with a soldier and you can go to the PX (store on post) and get anything!

    ps stay away from Itaewon! Although I would like to know if the Heavy Metal Club is still there :)

    ReplyDelete